This is the first posting in a four-part series published by The Positive Classroom and sent to me via http://edge.ascd.org/. ASCD Edge is a Professional Networking Community for Educators. The set of postings are designed to help you think through getting ready for the new academic year. The good thing about the cycles we go through as teachers is that each year we get to start over again with a more-or-less clean slate. This is a great opportunity to reflect on what worked well that you want to repeat and what you want to change.
Getting Ready for the Start of School Part II: Why Some Teachers Have Smooth Running Classrooms
- First Day of School
- First Week of School
- First Six Weeks of School
- Students learn why the procedure is important
- Students observe the model and create a picture in their mind of what it should look like
- Students do the noticing in describing what’s happening
- Students practice and get immediate feedback.